For more confortable all-year-rides.
I decided to start designing the fairing by studying dimensions with a small scale model after sketching some rough drawings.
I cut the foam stack and used a hand plane to finish the form. I used a drill to make holes for the clay to attach to the surface.
After getting the clay on the model it turned out that I had chosen wrong clay type and the clay started to dry which obviously made forming impossible.
After some failed trials with a 3D-modelling softwares I decided to go on with forming by hand.
The upper part was most difficult to design. It should be small to keep weight down but on the other hand one should be able turn head with a helmet.
I decided to go on fully covered fairing even though this will add some weight..
I had to make a saw horse to hold the saw. There was still a lot more work on the foam model.
After days of sprayglueing the strips and carving suitable foam parts it started to look like a real velomobile.
Getting the form out of the puzzle was a relief. Although this just meant that the grinding business was only in its beginning. It takes several hours to get the surface smooth enough with this building technique.
After getting the surface of the body smooth enough with epoxy and microballoons I was ready to cover it with glass fibre fabric.
After epoxying two layers of glass fibre cloth it was time to remove inner skeleton and try how the fairing sits on the frame. Gladly, no major modifications were needed.